Friday, January 24, 2014

5 on Friday

Let me start by saying that we've had a rough week at our house. Tuesday night Brady woke up around 9pm crying and continued crying for a good hour. There was no consoling him. I ended up sleeping with him the entire night. Wednesday morning he was a zombie. He wouldn't eat and wasn't talking, which are both huge indicators that something's going on with him. He had a low fever, so we kept him home from daycare. He napped from 8:30am - 10:15am and still just wanted to lay on me and cuddle. Brady is not a cuddler, so I called the doctor. We got in Wednesday afternoon and sure enough he's got another ear infection. This is #4 for this fall/winter, not that I'm counting or anything. amoxicillin doesn't work for him, so he's on Augmentin. Thankfully, it works quickly and he's back to his naughty playful self again!

Now to what I had planned to post about...

I kind of took a blogging break and am now hoping to come back in full force. I thought I would do a post to help readers get to know me a little better. Here are 5 things that you may or may not know about me:

1. I love Arizona. As in I would be 100% ok with picking up and moving there today. I know I just did a post about how family is so important and it's so nice to have them close again, and maybe it's because it's 100 degrees below zero outside right now, but I really would move there no questions asked. I actually do have family there that I am very close to, so it wouldn't be like we're moving there knowing no one. To be quite honest, I haven't really made any good friends since I've moved here. It's hard to make friends at work when 75% of your coworkers are over 50. And really I don't have a lot of adult interaction when I'm not at work. Oh well, such is life.

2. I work in HR and love it. I got a degree in Sociology with minors in Psychology and Spanish with the hopes of going in to Social Work. When that didn't pan out, I ended up getting a job as an administrative assistant for a HR Assistant. Things didn't work out so well with her, so I was promoted to her job. Not so good for her, but great for me. In HR, I still get to work with and help people on a daily basis which was my main goal in a career. I now work in HR for a non-profit that helps those in the community with mental illness so I'm really in my element.

3. I have a skin disease called Schamberg's. You can read about it here if you'd like, but basically some of my red blood cells have come up to the surface of my skin and left me looking freckle-covered. Don't do Google images because it will scare you. I have a severe case, but it's still not Google Images severe. It's the worst on my upper thigh, but I do have it in other places. I am extremely self-conscious about it. You will rarely see me in shorts unless I have a tan going on. I also dread wearing a bathing suit. I've been asked more times than I can count if I had a rash. I envision people thinking, "Look at her rash. Gross. Better stay away from her because I'm sure it's contagious." Of course I know most people probably really aren't thinking that, and I should stop caring what other people think, but that's just the way it is.

4. I love being the mom of a boy. Refer to my "A Girly Girl I Am Not" post here. Obviously, all I want are healthy babies, but I wouldn't be at all sad if we only had boys. Plus, I'm terrified of having a teenage girl, and we had a girl already, Claire, and she is so special. I'm really looking forward to watching Brady play tee-ball and flag football if he chooses. And for those who say it's so much more fun to shop for girls, you're wrong. The selection might not be as great, but there are some really cute things out there for boys. Our world right now revolves around dump trucks and fire trucks and I love every minute of it.

5. I wear socks with my flats. In my defense, they are black trouser socks with my black work flats. I don't wear heels. I have bunions. Thank you Grandma! I prefer comfort over pain. In the summer I would never dream of wearing socks, but since it's 100 degrees below zero, socks are a necessity.

That's all I've got. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Keep warm. The polar vortex is an a-hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment