Monday, February 3, 2014

Hawaii

Brad and I are going to Hawaii, Maui and Oahu, for 10 days in May. Most people would be over-the-moon excited to go to Hawaii. I am not. It's a done deal. Everything is booked, but I'm still having trouble getting on board. Brad's friend is getting married there and asked him to be in the wedding, so that's the main reason we are going. I think it's a little much to expect people to be able to afford that kind of trip, but that's just me. The money is a big factor in why I'm not loving the idea. We're talking probably close to $7,000. That's a large house project we will be putting off. But here are the real reasons I'm having issues with our vacation:

1. Brady is not going with us. If I had my way, he probably would have come. I know, it would have been very early nights with us having to be back to the hotel for his bed time every night, and some of the activities that we're planning wouldn't have happened, but man, 10 days away from him is a long time. The longest I've been away from him is 2 days. I'm going to bawl my eyes out when we leave. I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it.

Luckily, Brad's parents are willing to watch him while we're gone (and deal with his terrible sleeping). The plan is to keep him in daycare, so there's some normalcy, and to Face Time as much as possible. This trip will be a very good thing for Brad and I. We have our struggles still being semi-new parents, so this time alone will be great for our relationship. Please tell me we will have so much fun, I won't even have time to worry about Brady all day every day!

2. I am terrified about being in an airplane that long, and the whole flying over water thing. Yes, I've flown over water before, but never for that long. I am usually ok on the take off and while we're in flight, unless there's turbulence, but the landing is a whole other story. It's not even that I'm afraid the plane will crash. I just get extremely anxious and shaky and nauseous. It's to the point where we choose seats close to the back and close to the bathrooms just in case I have an episode. I've never been sick on a plane before, but I think it's the anxiety that it may happen that gets to me. You can trust I will be purchasing a large quantity of Dramamine before this trip.

3. How will I ever get my suitcase under the weight limit?! In case you don't get my sarcasm, I'm not really worried about this, although I have thought about it. I tend to over pack, probably taking double the clothes I need just because I don't know what I'll feel like wearing or what will be appropriate for the activities we're going to do. This happens because I'm a last minute packer. I just shove everything in the night before. Sticking to a list will probably be appropriate for this escapade.

All in all, I know we will have a great time. Just typing this out, has me a little more excited. If anyone has any suggestions about things that we must see or do while we're there, I would love to hear them!    

No comments:

Post a Comment