Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Finally a Parenting Win

Brady had a bit of a rough week last week. Daycare was closed Monday so Grandma watched him. I love that we have that option, and Brady loves spending time with Grandma, but boy does he get spoiled. It's crazy how one day makes such a difference. When I dropped him off at daycare on Tuesday he bawled. He hasn't done that in forever. I just figured it was a bad day, no big deal. I go to pick him up and there's a sheet for me to sign saying that he had bit someone for trying to take a toy from him. Seriously?! He has bit me before out of frustration, but has never even attempted it with anyone else.

I prayed the next day would be better, but we had a repeat performance. This time I cried dropping him off. It's heartbreaking to have to leave when he's bawling, reaching for you, and calling your name. I of course started questioning whether daycare was the best thing for him, and decided I needed to quit my job. Brad quickly talked me down after I had a good cry.

When I got there to pick him up that night, he had bit someone again. Two days in a row. I was beside myself, felt like I was failing at being a parent, what was I doing wrong, etc. I was later reassured that he's not the only one whose ever bit another kid. It was probably just a phase. We talked a lot with Brady that night about using his words instead of his mouth, and that he should say, "no, no friend" if someone tries to take something from him. I know he understood what we were telling him because he's since told me "no,no mommy" a couple of times. He hasn't bit anyone since, so fingers crossed the biting phase is over.

This week has been much better. We had a huge parenting win at our house tonight. (I am in no way trying to tell anyone how to parent. It is 100% your choice.) We've struggled at times with how to discipline. We will never spank our children. I'd be telling a bold-faced lie if I said I've never yelled, but I don't believe that is the answer either.

Lately when Brady throws a fit for not getting his way, or when he does something naughty, we have him go sit on the stairs by himself for a little bit to calm down and think about what he did. We usually have to stand there and watch him so he doesn't get right back up, but tonight after spilling a puree pouch on the carpet and himself, he got upset about it, and in the midst of us cleaning it up, he had gone over to the stairs and sat down all by himself. He waited for us to come over to him, we talked about what happened, and told him he could get up. It's such a relief to know that this option is working for us and that he understands. I actually had to laugh about it. It was pretty cute. 

I also wanted to share what I wore today. I tried a new combo that I liked a lot.
Blazer: Stitch Fix , Top: Kohls, Pants: Express, Necklace: Kohls
Someone wanted to be a part of the picture! 

No comments:

Post a Comment