Sunday, April 3, 2011

What To Say

We live on a small, quiet cul-de-sac. There are about 7 houses on our street. One of the ladies puts together a list of everyone's names, addresses and phone numbers and hands them out every spring. Yesterday we were outside with the dog and she came over to get our information since we're the new people on the street. She noticed I was pregnant and asked all the usual questions - when I'm due, do we know what we're having, do we have a name picked out, etc. She then asked where I was delivering. I told her we were delivering in Iowa City because they found some problems with her heart. She said something along the lines of, "You know that happens a lot and most of the time it's nothing. It's when they still have the problem at 5 years old that it's a problem." We just kind of shrugged it off and said we're hoping for the best. Little does she know that our little girl will have this problem her entire life. It will never get better.

Part of me just wishes that no one could tell I was pregnant and then I wouldn't have to answer any of these questions. It pains me every time we have to talk about it. I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like if we don't get to bring her home. What questions will people ask when it's July, August, etc. and you have no baby and clearly aren't pregnant anymore? How will I respond? There's so much uncertainty. June can't come fast enough. If she's suffering I want it to be over for her, but then again if she's strong and can push through, then we want to give her every chance to be a fighter. I guess we will have our answers in about 10 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Angie--It is Heatherkj from June08. I just came across the link to your blog in an old thread I was searching through, and I came here and found the latest update on your little girl. I am so sorry to hear about her additional heart condition. I cannot imagine what you and your husband are going through, but I pray that things turn out well for you and your little family. I wish strength for Claire, as well as for you and your husband. I'm sure you have family and friends to lean on, but if you ever need a little extra support, please feel free to come back over to June08. I posted to let everyone know about your blog updates because I thought everyone would like to know. The board is slower than it used to be (I'm not around there too much myself these days), but there are still a fair amount of original nesties hanging there. I'll be keeping tabs on your blog and hope to soon be reading great news about Claire. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete